Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Between Shifts...

  Crab Cakes served with a roasted red pepper romulade, 
arugula and grilled lemon.  Photo by: DD


I think this grind is gonna get me, my friends.
Another day, another dollar, but when will it end?

The kitchen's heat is sucking at me again, prying
Open my pores, letting that kitchen smell in.

My bank account will make a few more friends--
Washingtons, Hamiltons, Jacksons and Benjamins.

I'm in between shifts, wishing this time won't end.
Because in 25 minutes, I'll resume work again.


 Spinach Fettuccine with cured tomatoes, artichokes, asparagus, 
banana peppers and a garlic infused olive oil. Photo by: DD

I'm dressed in all black. It's the beginning of summer.
I could use some pastel, some days with much more color.

I try to get outside whenever I can.  But stomachs
Keep growling.  Guests keep on coming.

Inside the restaurant, the lights are so dim.  Temporary blindness
Takes over while eyes are adjusting.

Sometimes I take a nap and hear plates banging.
Twenty more minutes, I resume work again.

I can feel my mind swinging back into work mode.
And it sure feels good to know I'm not alone.


 Asparagus Bread Sticks with a white cheddar and jalapeno sauce. Photo by: DD

I just heard my shower stop.  That's two more bodies cleaned.
Now my roommate's dressed in all black too, ready to pursue American dreams.

His girl is working too, but she gets to wear a real pretty dress.
We work at three different restaurants, yet feel the same damn stress. 

I find it kind of funny.  It's makes me kind of sad.
When the check is $150, and the food goes in the trash.

But I'll be $30 richer, from some patron's waste.
The circular transaction ensures I'll have food on my plate.

Here's when I surrender to reality.  Splash my face with cold water.
Tuck my shirt in properly, and think about how people respond positively to my
Personality.

I'm thankful for the opportunity, to work and live freely.

But this has been a few moments between shifts.

Grilled Flank Steak with garlic mashed potatoes, arugula
and a sweet Worcestershire sauce.  Photo by: DD


All photographs were taken at the Bistro on Main, and all food was prepared by the chefs at the Bistro on Main, my place of employment, which has been so so so good to me for the past seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment